Wednesday 21 April 2010

Staying Primal in any situation

There is just no excuse not to eat a Primal meal any more. Even at other peoples houses, there's usually mainly primal food in the meal, and you just pick around the non-primal stuff. Be polite about it obviously :P

I have recently been tested by having to go out straight after work to meet up with friends or family. Trying to remain primal on occassions such as these is not as difficult as it seems.

When eating out, or grabbing something on the run, look for meat. Usually restaurants and now even fast food joints do side salads or vegetables, so you can order some green to go with your meat. Sorted. 'Hold on though, what if I'm stuck with MacDonald's for my only food option?' Great question! I have been in this situation recently. I avoided the Chicken Salad because they add a bunch of unnecessary non-primal ingredients to the meat. I went with a double beef burger sans sauce and cheese, and the Garden Salad. I then simply discarded the bun from the burger and voila! Primal fast food. The beef burgers are 100% beef so they're OK. If you're stuck with Burger King I'd go with the side salad and an Angus burger, which is much better quality meat.

Recently I had to go to a Mexican restaurant for a work do. I simply avoided the nachos, got sweet potato skins to start, and then followed those up with some pork tacos, I then proceeded to eat my pork tacos without the taco shells or rice. I got some strange looks but I stayed Primal and I was the only person who didn't feel bloated after the meal!

Obviously these may not be the best options for Primal meals if you can go home and make something up yourself, but it just goes to show that there just are no excuses for eating a non-primal meal. Don't cave and go for a regular burger and fries with a Coke like everyone else, do your body a favour and stay Primal :)

What do you do in situations like these? Do you cave and call it a 'cheat' day? Or do you ask the waiter if they can do something different for you? Do you make the best of what there is without eating grains etc.?

2 comments:

  1. I have been in this situation several times, recently. I have been learning about making good choices wherever I am! Even at work, when I was asked what pizza topping I want, I simply said, "I don't want to be a buzz-kill, but I can't eat pizza!" The other employees were totally cool. As far as eating with my in-laws though....yikes. I just eat TINY portions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo of the lettuce burger...we are having lettuce chicken burgers tonight!

    Eating out has been fun lately because I cruise the menu with primal eyes, looking for ideas for new things I can create at home.

    At Boston Pizza, I order the spinach salad, dressing on the side, ask for a grilled chicken breast and a side of guacamole.

    If at a fast food joint, I would do the same as Nikki, ditch the bun, order the beef (although 100% beef is just the company that sells McDonald's the meat), and add a salad & water.

    Tonight I am heading out to Spokane on a weekend trip with my students (Bloomsday run). In the past when I was a vegetarian, I would go far out of the way to find a suitable "restaurant" when we stopped for food. This caused me a significant deal of worry about food. Now I can simply pull the intermittent fasting card, or I can adjust the available foods on the menu.

    There are always options.

    ReplyDelete