Thursday 15 April 2010

Excuses, excuses

I bet you know at least one person who makes excuses for why they can't possibly do any exercise or why they can't possibly eat healthily. I sure do.

Some people moan and complain about how they are fat or tired or bloated or that they don't exercise enough or that they keep getting ill or getting health problems, but every suggestion you give for improving their health is rebutted with 20 reasons why they can't do that. What is that about?!

My Mom is like this, I love her to pieces and I worry about her because she is always so stressed and she is always complaining about her lack of sleep/exercise, and how she wants to lose weight.

The problem is that she will come up with every excuse she can think of for why she can't improve all these things! I know that she is always very busy shuttling people to various places, working full time, doing housework, grocery shopping and whatever else, so I suggested that she fit in 10 minutes of exercise each morning or night to help her get more exercise and lose weight. She had about 10 excuses why she couldn't do this. I then suggested that she try eating less grain/starch and more vegetables with her meals. She told me she couldn't because my Dad insists on having some kind of stodge with his dinner and that she didn't want to cook two meals every night. I told her she didn't have to cook two meals, just cook one healthy meal with protein and veggies, and then do a portion of grain or potato to put on my Dad's plate. I told her this is what I do when my fiance wants something like that with dinner. She then said that she couldn't because... and I stopped listening.

If you're going to complain about the state of your health or really anything about yourself, you need to take action and do something to fix the problem! What is the point of complaining about it, if you refuse to do anything about it? I don't believe that there is anyone in any situation who cannot do anything to improve their health. What's 10 minutes a day of exercise? What's the extra effort in leaving the bad carbs off your plate at a family meal? Zilch. I just don't get it. There is always something you can do to help yourself. And if you really won't change a thing for yourself, well stop b*tchin' people!

No comments:

Post a Comment