Tuesday 6 April 2010

Intermittent Fasting

Otherwise known as IF, Intermittent Fasting is great for you! Not only does it give your body a chance to recouperate from the constant processing of food and focus on other jobs that need doing to keep your bod in top shape, but it also gives you the chance to gain a better understanding of what your body is telling you throughout the day, and what it really needs.

When you IF, because you're not focused on food, you can connect much better with your body and what it actually tells you it needs. You can ignore the voice in your head (which may usually sound like it's coming from your stomach) telling you that you really need some food RIGHT NOW or even worse, that you really need some "food" RIGHT NOW. On a fast it becomes clear that that nagging and very persuasive voice is just your mind playing tricks on you, because you can clearly listen to the rest of your body now, since your thoughts are not on food, and in particular you can listen to your stomach and you'll realise what real hunger actually feels like.

I was suprised to find that actually, most of the time, I'm really not hungry. I've also found that my hunger throughout any given day is relative to how much exercise I do, and how intense that exercise is.

Another fantastic realisation due to IFing was that I found that my body certainly does not crave or even want processed foods, grains or sugar (other than in fruit form!). My brain will try to tell me that I want or even need these things sometimes, but I know for sure that it is only my brain that wants me to put those "foods" in my mouth. When I am nearing the end of an IF and am truly getting genuinely hungry, the things that my mind conjures up images of are far from the processed "foods" that I would usually get cravings for. When I am truly hungry, all I can think about is a colourful veggie packed omelette with bacon bits, or a big juicy steak and some sauteed spinach, or even a big-ass tuna salad.*

On top of all this great reconnection with your body, IFing is also a great booster for anyone who's trying to lose fat on their bodies, as your carb intake will be low, so you will be in a state of ketosis, burning that stored fat since there is no new fuel being injested.

I really would recommend giving IF a try. You can ease yourself into it, and you can do it as little or as often as you want/need to. Check out the archives over at Mark's Daily Apple for more info on IF and how to go about it.

*Making your mouth water? You must be primal! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment